Monday, February 13, 2012

The Evolution of a Painting--The Deconstruction of Summer.

A few weeks ago I had the honor of being interviewed by Colorado Handmade.  I made a comment that a painting is never really finished until it is sold.  This is a fun little example.

About a year and a half ago, I started an experiment with environmental tonal-ism.  I wanted to work large and use strict color relationships and a soft tone and feel.  I took two four 4'x4' Masonite panels and went to work.

The First experiment was in red alizarin crimson and cad yellow.  I use alizarin crimson and ultramarine blue to forge both my middle and dark tones.

These Paintings were meant to be fairly quick, experimental pieces.  The second panel, I again experimented with soft tones and a limited pallate.  This time using a higher level of ultramarine, and the addition of lemon yellow and white in the lighter cloud tones.


These two painting hung on the wall at Creative Spirits for a period of time (6-8) months.  I really didn't recieve any significant positive reaction to the paintings so I took them down and they sat in the corner of my studio, awaiting my plans for the future.

about five months ago, I was getting increasingly frustrated and claustrophobic in my studio.  I missed graffiti, drawing, bright color, spray paint, oil crayons, you know, the finer things in life.  So I took the painting to the bed of my truck and went to town.  The result is this odd, but satisfying color piece.  I didn't really have a breakthrough during this process, but it helped me loosen up and re evaluate.



Now I had one funky panel, and one tonal panel.  In the back of my mind, I had always intended the two panels to be "involved".  They seemed clandestine lovers, so I went to the studio to try to harmonize my two creations.  

This is primarily where the breakthroughs came.  I was forced to bring harmony and visual power to two separate paintings.  I worked for days trying different experiments, different colors, different materials, ways of painting.  I brushed, I washed, I scrubbed, and finally i had succeeded in a unity of sorts.  I knew I wasn't done yet, but the results were welcome.


After some time in the studio, (two months or so), and several painstakingly disciplined painting sessions, I had finally created a finished piece.  It is four feet tall and eight feet long.  This Painting and the things I learned from it is the inspiration for my new Sentiments series of paintings as I learned a whole new way of looking at a painting.

This is the finished product.


Now I just need to find a wall to hang it and some people to see it.  Working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment